Quillivant XR | Methylphenidate Extended Release Oral Suspension
Medication class: Central nervous system stimulant
Manufactured: NextWave Pharmaceuticals
Approval date: Sept 27, 2012
What is Quillivant XR
Quillivant XR is a central nervous system stimulant. It is a scheduled II controlled substance prescription medicine. Quillivant XR is supplied in a powder form. After mixing with water it forms an extended release oral suspension for once daily dosing. It is used for the treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Quillivant XR may help increase attention and decrease impulsiveness and hyperactivity in patients with ADHD. It contains 20% immediate release and 80% extended release formulation which provides symptomatic control up to twelve hours. After mixing, Quillivant XR is available as a 25 mg/5 ml suspension.
How does Quillivant XR work
It is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. Quillivant XR, like similar CNS stimulants, may work by increasing the concentration of chemicals, such as norepinephrine and dopamine, in the brain.
What does Quillivant XR Treat
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children and adults 6 to 65 years of age.
How effective is Quillivant XR
- Children with ADHD: Quillivant XR 20 mg in the morning and titrated slowly up to 60 mg per day reduced in symptoms better than placebo 4 hours after the initial dose.
- Patient taking Quillivant XR achieved significant improvement in symptoms 45 minutes after dosing and improvement lasted up to twelve hours.
What are interesting facts about Quillivant XR
Quillivant XR is the first and only oral suspension of methylphenidate approved for the treatment of ADHD.
How is Quillivant XR dosed and administered
- Quillivant XR is supplied as 25 mg/5ml oral suspension that is given once daily in the morning with or without food.
- For patients 6 years old and above the dosing is 20 mg by mouth once daily in the morning.
- Dosing may be increase weekly in increments of 10 mg to 20 mg per day
- Dosage above 60 mg is not recommended.
What are the common side effects of Quillivant XR
Common: Decrease appetite, insomnia, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, abdominal pain, weight loss, anxiety, dizziness, irritability, increased heart rate, and increase in blood pressure.
Serious: Reduced growth rate (height and weight) in children; can be abused or lead to dependency; stroke, heart attack and sudden death; severe increase in blood pressure and heart rate; psychotic or manic symptoms
Quillivant XR drug interactions
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOI): Combining MAOIs with Quillivant XR may cause a dangerous increase in blood pressure. Quillivant XR should not be taking with MAOI or within 14 days after discontinuing of MAOI treatment.
What is the cost of Quillivant XR?
Cost is not yet available to the public
The material on this site is for information only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Comment on this article or post an article by joining the RxEconsult community.
Please Share on Your Social Networks