What is Sovaldi
Sovaldi is a direct-acting antiviral agent, meaning that it directly blocks the hepatitis C virus (HCV) life cycle. By interfering with the HCV enzyme called NS5B RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, the virus cannot make new viruses.
What is Sovaldi used for
Sovaldi is used for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C infection in adults with genotype 1, 2, 3 or 4. It must be taken in combination with either ribavirin or with pegylated interferon (peginterferon) and ribavirin.
Note: Genotype means the genetic makeup of living things and is used to distinguish the different types of HCV. HCV has more than six different genotypes and the 6 genotypes respond to anti-HCV drugs differently.
How well does Sovaldi work
- Previously untreated subjects with genotype 1 or 4 were given Sovaldi with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin for 12 weeks. Ninety percent of subjects with genotype 1 had undetectable levels of HCV while 96% of subjects with genotype 4 had undetectable levels.
In previously untreated subjects with genotype 2 or 3, Sovaldi and ribavirin treatment given for 12 weeks was compared with peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin treatment for 24 weeks.
- In genotype 2, 95% of the Sovaldi group had undetectable levels of HCV compared to 78% in the peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin group.
- In genotype 3, 56% of the Sovaldi group had undetectable levels of HCV compared to 65% in the peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin group.
How is Sovaldi different from peginterferon alfa and ribavirin
- Sovaldi is a direct-acting antiviral agent.
- It works against HCV genotypes 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- It is used for 12 to 48 weeks.
What is the dosage of Sovaldi
Sovaldi is supplied as 400 mg tablets. The dose is 400 mg orally once a day with or without food. It is given in combination with ribavirin or in combination with pegylated interferon and ribavirin. The treatment duration is 12 to 48 weeks.
What are the side effects of Sovaldi
- Sovaldi + ribavirin: Fatigue and headache
- Sovaldi + peginterferon alfa + ribavirin: Fatigue, headache, nausea, insomnia, and anemia
Serious: Severe depression; decrease amount of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets
Sovaldi Drug Interactions
Sovaldi has several drug interactions. The following drug classes and drugs interact with Sovaldi by decreasing its amount in the body, preventing a person from getting the full benefits of Sovaldi. Therefore, they should not be taken together.
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Phenobarbital (Luminal)
- oxcarbazepine (Trileptal)
- rifabutin (Mycobutin)
- rifampin (Rifadin)
- rifapentine (Priftin)
- St. John’s Wort
HIV Protease Inhibitors
- tipranavir (Aptivus)/ritonavir (Norvir)
What is the price of Sovaldi
According to the manufacturer and local pharmacies, Sovaldi costs around $1,000 for one tablet, the dose for one day. It cost $30,000 for 30 tablets (1 month supply), $84,000 for 12 weeks and $168,000 for 24 weeks.
How to obtain prescription assistance for Sovaldi
Use these resources for assistance with the cost of Sovaldi.